Margam Stones Museum in association with CADW
The Margam Stones Museum, which has on display some 28 stones, is housed in what was formerly one of the earliest church schools in Wales. This building, renovated in the 1990’s, is situated within the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, better known as Margam Abbey. The present building, which is the parish church, is only part of the original Cistercian abbey founded in 1147.
Within its walls there are sculptured and inscribed stones dating from the Roman period and one memorial, dating from the 6th century, has Latin and Irish Ogham inscriptions. There are also several cart-wheel crosses dating from the 10th and 11th centuries, the most notable being the elaborately and extensively decorated Conbelin Cross. The medieval period is represented by several grave-slabs of abbots associated with the Cistercian abbey; there is also the effigy of a knight dating from the fourteenth century.
Family Ticket £6:30 (Admits 2 Adults and all children under 16) CADW, English Heritage & History Scotland cardholders Free
Groups 15 or more 10% discount
1 Apr - 30 Sept Wed - Sun 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Between 1 Oct & 31 Mar access by prior arrangement only by telephoning 01639 871184 on Wednesdays or Fridays.